So I just finished again Bioshock – one of the best first person shooters out there – and because of the rich content, story-line, plot and elements that make up the gameplay and modes of doing stuff around – I wanted to write a short article regarding the audio logs and collection of plasmids and tonics you can collect.
Bioshock is quite abundant in story elements. In 1946 Andrew Ryan started building an underwater city where he would desire to live with various groups of people – who shared his vision and his world view. Rapture was designed to be entirely self-supporting, with all of its electricity, food production, water purification and defense systems powered by undersea volcanic vents. In Rapture, Science, Industry and Art would thrive undisturbed by intervention from governments, religious institutions or other social agencies. People from around the world emigrated to the hidden city during the years between 1946 and 1952, sparking conspiracy theories on the surface about mass disappearances that came to be known as “The Vanishing”.
A few years later – the sea-slugs that secreted ADAM are discovered – and from there everything takes a turn to the wrong direction. The properties of the new substance would permit the creation of the plasmids – potions that could rewrite the DNA code of a person – in order for him or her to possess various powers.
But using too many plasmids and other tonics – known as splicing – would harm the body and the mind of the users. In the first Bioshock game – you discover the city in ruins and filled with these Splicers – which appear not in their right mind.
The story of the underwater utopian city Rapture can also be seen by exploring all the passages and the locations in the game – but also many more details are shown in the audio recordings of the citizen who are living or lived there. Over the last few weeks – because I was quite busy preparing exams and other stuff – I listened to ambient recordings from the game. Reading while listening to Rapture ambiance is quite relaxing – the sounds of the underground tunnels and the whales outside is amazing.
Also I really wanted to share a video comprising all the audio logs in the first Bioshock game.
Regarding plasmids and tonics – I didn’t manage to collect all of them – because that would mean stopping the game and looking at articles about the locations and ways of obtaining the desired tonics and other leveling-up substances – and because I recorded my gaming sessions – couldn’t do that. I mostly used Electrobolt and Telekinesis. Electrobolt stops the villains and you can gain momentum in reloading of changing weapons. Telekinesis deals a lot of damage to all the enemies – including Splicers and Big Daddies. As weapons – I went a lot with the Crossbow and the Shotgun but also I used the Machine Gun and the Grenade Launcher as well – in most situations.
Below is a list of all the Gene Tonics and the Plasmids you can collect – also with hints on where you can find, invent or purchase them.
Physical Tonics (19)
1. BloodLust – U-Invent machine / Inventable after Arcadia
2. Booze Hound – U-Invent Machine / Inventable after Arcadia
3. Eve Link – Sold at Gatherer’s Garden machines
4. Eve Link 2 – Farmer’s Market / On the ground near U-Invent & vending machines.
5. Extra Nutrition – Sold at Gatherer’s Garden machines.
6. Extra Nutrition 2 – Storage Basement of the mall area in Fort Frolic. Covered by metal grate if Cohen dies. Also purchasable.
7. Extra Nutrition 3 – Research Spider splicers
8. Hacker’s Delight – Cremate the body in the Medical Pavillion.
9. Hacker’s Delight 2 – U-Invent machine / Inventable after Arcadia
10. Hacker’s Delight 3 – Proving Grounds / Same room as the Big Daddy Helmet.
11. Medical Expert – Neptune’s Bounty / In the center of the muddy section of the Lower Wharf.
12. Medical Expert 2 – Fort Frolic / Awarded by an alive Cohen or bought in Hephaestus
13. Medical Expert 3 – Near the toilets in Dr. Suchong’s Clinic on the second floor of Artemis Suites.
14. Natural Camouflage – Research the Houdini Splicers
15. Scrounger – Research Leadhead splicers
16. Security Evasion – Arcadia / In the center of a group of splicers, near an Invent machine.
17. Security Evasion 2 – Hephaestus / Heat Monitoring / Across from electrocuted ghost scene, sitting on desk
18. Sportboost – Research Thuggish splicers
19. Sportboost 2 – Research Thuggish Splicers.
Engineering Tonics (16)
1. Alarm Expert – Fort Frolic / Theater / Top Left balcony sitting on the ledge
2. Alarm Expert 2 – Point Prometheus / Optimized Eugenics / on filing cabinet
3. Clever Inventor – Suchong’s Apartment / Beside the tape recorder
4. Focused Hacker – Neptune’s Bounty / In the area right before fighting Peach Wilkins.
5. Focused Hacker 2 – Hestia Fourth Floor, on the desk in the corner of the room near the safe.
6. Hacking Expert – Arcadia / Sitting on the first desk in Langford Labs
7. Hacking Expert 2 – Available in Gatherer’s Garden vending machine, starting in the Fort Frolic area.
8. Prolific Inventor – Awarded for saving Little Sisters / Last Tonic reward
9. Safecracker – Awarded for saving Little Sisters / First Tonic reward
10. Safecracker 2 – In the Autopsy room in the downstairs of the Little Wonders Educational Facility.
11. Security Expert – Medical Pavilion / On a small chest in the morgue.
12. Security Expert 2 – Research the flying Security Bot
13. Shorten Alarms – Neptune’s bounty / Near “Saw Masha Today” recording or buy it at a Gatherer’s Garden machine in Arcadia.
14. Shorten Alarms 2 – Hephaestus / On the floor right before setting off the EMP.
15. Speedy Hacker – Medical Pavilion / On the desk in the dentist’s lab.
16. Speedy Hacker 2 – Available at Gatherer’s Garden vending machines, starting in the Olympus Heights area.
Combat Tonics (18)
1. Armored Shell – Available at Gatherer’s Garden vending machine, starting with the Medical Pavilion area.
2. Armored Shell 2 – Awarded for saving Little Sisters / Second Tonic Reward
3. Damage Research – Hephaestus / Across from the EMP bomb on a table
4. Damage Research 2 – In the Mendel Family Library, on a desk in the rear of the room.
5. Electric Flesh – Fort Frolic / The Projector Room in the Theater / On bookshelf
6. Electric Flesh 2 – Olympic Heights / Fontaine’s apartment / In the office on the desk
7. Frozen Field – Fort Frolic / Awarded for killing the Cohen victim in the freezer
8. Frozen Field 2 – Hephaestus – Room off entrance to Ryan’s office – on desk
9. Human Inferno – Arcadia Gatherer’s Garden machine / 20 Adam
10. Human Inferno 2 – Available at Gatherer’s Garden vending machine starting in the Point Prometheus area.
11. Photographer’s Eye – In the bunk room of the wine cellar in Farmer’s Market.
12. Photographer’s Eye 2 – Research the Rosie Big Daddy.
13. Static Discharge – Medical Pavilion / In the hallway after fighting Steinman.
14. Static Discharge 2 – Research Leadhead splicers
15. Wrench Jockey – Medical Pavilion / Seen from a window. In a back room, reached by airshaft.
16. Wrench Jockey 2 – Research Bouncer Big Daddy
17. Wrench Lurker – Neptune’s Bounty / Sitting on the ledge near the plasmid machine.
18. Wrench Lurker 2 – Available at Gatherer’s Garden vending machine, starting at Olympus Heights.
1. Cyclone Trap – Bought from Gatherer’s Garden
2. Cyclone Trap 2 – Bought from gatherers garden
3. Electro Bolt – Found during Welcome to Rapture
4. Electro Bolt 2 – Bought at Gatherer’s Garden
5. Electro Bolt 3 – Bought at Gatherer’s Garden
6. Enrage! – Bought from Gatherer’s Garden vending machine
7. Hypnotize Big Daddy – Given by Tenenbaum (*Note you must save little sisters for this prize)
8. Hypnotize Big Daddy 2 – Given by Tenenbaum (*)
9. Incinerate! – Found on 2 floor of Eternal flame Crematorium (Medical Pavilion)
10. Incinerate! 2 – Bought at Gatherer’s Garden
11. Incinerate! 3 – Bought at Gatherer’s Garden
12. Insect Swarm – Bought from Gatherer’s Garden vending machine
13. Insect Swarm 2 – Bought at Gatherer’s Garden
14. Insect Swarm 3 – Bought at Gatherer’s Garden
15. Security Bullseye – On an awning near the wharfmaster’s office above the Upper Wharf area.
16. Target Dummy – Bought from Gatherer’s Garden vending machine
17. Telekinesis – Found in Dandy Dental (Medical Pavilion)
18. Winter Blast – Bought from Gatherer’s Garden vending machine
19. Winter Blast 2 – Bought at Gatherer’s Garden
20. Winter Blast 3 – Bought at Gatherer’s Garden.
There would be so much more to discuss about the game – because it is very complex and each character and each aspect and component has a feature worth discussing. For now I I am playing other games – I have a week off from anything before my new job – and I indulge myself with anime and TV series and my favorite videogames- but I will play Bioshock 2 and Bioshock Infinite later.
I also keep uploading the gameplays on my Youtube Channel.